Search Poetry

(Masnavi Book 3: 35) The complaint of the Mule to the Camel





How the mule complained to the camel, saying, I am often falling on my face, while you fallest but seldom.”

Said the mule to the camel, O good friend, in hill and dale and in the obscure (difficult) track You do not tumble on your head but goest happily along, while I am tumbling on my head, like one who has lost his way.
At every moment I am falling on my face, whether (it be) in a dry place or a wet.
Declare to me what is the cause of this, that I may know how I must live.”

1750. He (the camel) said, “My eye is clearer than thine; furthermore, it is also looking from on high:
When I come up to the top of a high hill, I regard attentively the end of the pass; Then too God reveals to my eye all the lowness and loftiness of the way,
(So that) I take every step with (clear) sight and am delivered from stumbling and falling, (Whereas) you do not see two or three steps in front of you: you seest the bait, but you do not see the pain of the snare.

1755. Are the blind and the seeing equal before you (according to your opinion) in their abiding and their alighting and their journeying?”
When God gives a spirit to the embryo in the womb, He implants in its (the spirit's) temperament
(the desire of) drawing particles together.
By means of food it draws the particles together and weaves the warp and woof of its body:
Till (the age of) forty years, God will have made it desirous of drawing particles together in (the process of) growth.
The incomparable King taught the spirit to draw particles together: how should He (himself) not know how to draw particles together?

1760. The assembler of (all) these motes was the (Divine) Sun: He knows how to seize your
(bodily) particles (and draw them together again) without nutrition.

At the moment when you emergest from sleep, He quickly recalls the departed consciousness and sensation.
To the end that you mayst know that those (faculties) have not become absent from Him, they come back (to thee) when He commands them to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment