Search Poetry

(Masnavi Book 4: 80) Dhu’l-Qarnayn and Mount Qaf




How Dhu ’l-Qarnayn went to Mount Qáf and made petition, saying, O Mount Qáf, tell me of the majesty of the Attributes of God; and how Mount f said that the description of His majesty is ineffable, since (all) perceptions vanish before it; and how Dhu ’l-Qarnayn made humble supplication, saying, Tell of His works that you have in mind and of which it is more easy for you to speak.”


Dhu ’l-Qarnayn went towards Mount Qáf: he saw that it was (made) of pure emerald,
And that it had become a ring surrounding the (whole) world. He was amazed at that immense creation (work of God).
He said, “You art the mountain (indeed): what are the others? for beside your magnitude they are (but) playthings.”
It replied, “Those (other) mountains are my veins: they are not like unto me in beauty and glory.

3715. I have a hidden vein in every land: (all) the regions of the world are fastened to my veins.
When God wills an earthquake in any land, He bids me and I cause the vein to throb.
Then I make to move mightily the vein with which the (particular) land is connected.
When He says Enough! my vein rests. I am (apparently) at rest, but actually I am in rapid motion”—
At rest, like the (medicinal) ointment, and very active (efficacious); at rest, like the intellect, while the speech (impelled) by it is moving.

3720. In the opinion of him whose intelligence does not perceive this, earthquakes are caused by terrestrial vapours.

No comments:

Post a Comment